Saturday, August 11, 2007

It's all about the clothes



It turns out that being Indian has opened up a whole new world of fashion and shopping, not just for myself, but also for my children.

No longer is it enough for me to make sure that my kids are well dressed in American clothes, but they also have to be sharp and trendy in Indian clothing as well.

As a result I find myself combing through websites looking for nice Indian clothes for them on sale more and more often. I also check out the little kids' clothes when I am out at functions or events. The most fashionable ones are always the ones who have a family member who has recently returned from India or they themselves have been there recently.

It is entirely possible to drop a small fortune on just the right kurta or lehenga for your little ones. I just recently saw a woman and her three year old daughter sporting matching lehengas. Of course I became instantly envious that she and her daughter were so impeccably coordinated. Upon closer inspection however, while I applaud the whole mommy and me concept as applied to Indian clothing, alas the pattern and style weren't all that remarkable. I would have picked something different. Nevertheless, this sighting has given me another purpose on my shopping missions.

My daughter received the sari in this picture as a gift from a dear friend. It is perfectly lovely and she will get plenty of wear out of it since it is a little big. My son, upon seeing his sister all dressed up, quickly ran to his room and retrieved what I call the Indian elf outfit and put it on so he could play with her. His outfit, a gift from a well-intended friend, is not something I would have chosen, but it's the thought that counts.

I must say I did a pretty good job tying (draping? wrapping?) her sari, considering I have never done it before. Thanks to Utsav Sarees instructions I think I did a pretty good job. Fortunately she was a pretty patient model!

No comments: