Sunday, August 03, 2008

Quick summer snack

I'll admit that this snack lacks in creativity, but I put it together in about 5 minutes total just to stave off the munchies and to avoid the inevitable requests for french fries at the snack bar.

Watermelon chunks, wheat crackers, raw green beans, animal crackers, Trader Joe's chewy granola bar, chocolate milk, and lemonade. Every thing is sitting on my very summery light blue and white seersucker napkins.

The green beans are sitting on the lid of the Sistema container because I made the exact same snack for both kids packed both of their green beans into one larger container.

This snack is a little higher in refined sugar than what I would normally packed. That is because both kids helped me pack it. My son got the granola bars out for both of them and my daughter got the animal crackers. Normally I would not let them have both, but my son, who does not overindulge on sweets, gave me the puppy eyes and pout, so, with an eyeroll, I agreed to include them.

If I had an extra few minutes to assess the contents before leaving the house, I would have likely included a little more protein, like some cheese or maybe some hard boiled egg or something like that. If my kids actually liked hummus, that would be a great choice, but they won't touch the stuff despite having tried it more than once.

It was quite funny to hear them discussing which salty snack to include. They considered their options and then my son made the executive decision and said, "Let's have the wheat crackers. They're healthy," to which my daughter responded, "Okay! I'll get the containers!" I'm so proud that they are getting the message about making healthy choices and that they know that it takes just a few seconds to put things into reusable containers.

The only waste generated in this snack was the granola bar wrapper.

No comments: